Parks and Recreation
Phone: 870-523-6568, x 123
Mobile Phone: 870-523-6568
Grants are continually received by the Arkansas Dept. of Parks and Tourism for addition and improvement to city park facilities
- Lockwood Park, corner of Malcolm Avenue and Lakeshore Drive, on the Newport Lake. Playground equipment, fishing pier,
picnic pavilions and an opportunity to feed the ducks. New walking trail completed.
- Normandy Acres Park, corner of Park & Eastern Avenues. Playground equipment and a practice ball field.
- Branch Park, corner of Calhoun & Jones Streets. Playground equipment, outside basketball court, practice ball field and picnic pavilions.
- Airbase Park, corner of Airbase & Johnson. Playground equipment, practice ball field, basketball court and picnic pavilion.
- Crossroads Park, corner of State & Patterson Streets. Playground equipment, basketball court and practice ball field.
- Hines Park, corner of Hines & Warner Streets. Playground equipment, basketball court and pavilion.
George Kell Park, located on Fairground Road, just off Highway 367 is a state-of-the-art ballpark complex. The park is home to a combination of 6 ball fields providing opportunities for t-ball, softball, Little League, Babe Ruth and American Legion players, all with covered bleachers and dugouts.
The Newport HIgh School Girls Softball team plays their games at the complex on a field with a modern press box facility
Curtner Field, located in Kell Park, is the ball field where both the Newport American Legion team and the Newport High School Baseball team play. The field is equipped with brick dugouts and foot railings, covered grand stands with "chair style" seating for over 100 and a handicap seating area. An impressive press box rises above the grand stands and across the field is displayed an impressive "big league style" scoreboard.
Kell Park also boasts a 45' x 85' community swimming pool open 12:30 - 5:30 daily June 1st until school begins. Private parties can be booked by contacting Rita Cooper ata 870-523-6568 extension 112.
IRON MOUNTAIN DEPOT
The Iron Mountain Depot is located on Front Street in Newport. The Depot was restored in 1998 and on its walls are numerous
pictures and history of the past. The Depot is available for rent and has been used for numerous functions such as family reunions,
class reunions, wedding receptions, political rallies and corporate meetings.